This healthy salad is perfect for lunch. Packed with protein and veggies, it’ll sure keep you nice and full! Make some extra for meal prep even or take left overs to work or school the next day.
When I was buying the quinoa I actually bought the wrong one. I decided to go with the package with less quinoa since I was making a 2 person meal. Being me, I didn’t read the label correctly and turns out it was Moroccan flavored Quinoa. Worried that my dressing wouldn’t go well with the spiced quinoa, but go with the flow right? I was actually a bit surprised by the outcome. The moroccan flavors complimented nicely against the light citrus dressing. Though if you preferred regular quinoa this salad would be delicious either way.
I have to be honest, I was first pretty doubtful of quinoa, wondering if there was any taste to it. But of course, theres many ways your can season it and it’s actually really good (despite having bought moroccan spiced quinoa). But to be honest, looking at quinoa get me a bit uncomfortable. To a certain extent, I guess you can say I have trypophobia. And big mistake for searching “fear of holes” to try and find the name of this phobia. Of course the first thing that shows up is a huge photo of little holes. Now I’m weirded out and I can’t get the image out of my head… So if you want to know the name of the phobia for any random reason, its trypophobia. Do NOT search it if you know you’re going to freak.
So yeah, quinoa does remind me of it but because good thing I got a little use to it’s appearance and if you don’t study it super up close, you can’t really see the “hole like” quality to it.
Anyways, I digress. This chicken quinoa salad recipe is waiting for you to be used. So head on to your local grocery store and stock up the ingredients to make a beautiful fulfilling chicken salad!
This recipe works perfectly as a main for lunch or even a side to serve with dinner. Bringing it to picnics would be amazing or even to a outing at a friends place! Once again, these recipes are super versatile. Feel free to change chicken to shrimp or even serve it meatless by adding a bunch of other goodies such as beans to amp up the protein game.
- 6 strips raw Chicken Breast
- 130g Instant Moroccan Quinoa
- 1 medium Tomato, chopped
- 1/2 medium Cucumber, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 30 g Walnuts
- 4 handfuls Arugula leaves
- 1/2 tsp fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp fresh Orange Juice
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Honey
- 2 tsp Dijion Mustard
- Combine quinoa with 1 1/4 cups of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave saucepan covered for about 5-8 minutes, allowing the quinoa to absorb the moisture.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Heat a skillet with oil over medium high heat and fry the chicken pieces for 8-10 minutes until it has browned all over and is cooked through. Set aside.
- To make the dressing combine all the ingredients into a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, spring onion, cucumber, walnuts, arugula leaves, rosemary, cooked quinoa and chicken. Mix to combine. Add the dressing and mix to combine.
- I used instant Moroccan flavored quinoa which adds another depth of flavor to the dish but regular quinoa work just as well.
- Feel free to switch up the type of meat or even make it meatless.