The perfect frosting recipe so a variety of sweet treats. One of the most elegant frostings and it’s super easy to make.
There are so many different ways you can use cream cheese frosting – Hummingbird Cake , Red Velvet Cake, cupcakes and basically about anything else you can think of.
It comes together in literally seconds, quickly creaming together cream cheese and butter and slowly incorporating some icing sugar. Then to lift the flavor even more, a dash of vanilla extract. Turn the mixer to the highest speed for about 20 seconds and your cream cheese frosting will be as light and fluffy as possible.
This recipe doesn’t make a huge batch but it’s enough to make a two layered cake without frosting the sides, so a naked cake. It’s easy to double or even triple to amount if you require more.
Frostings with cream cheese do need to be refrigerated so you’ll want to store your cake, cupcakes etc in an airtight container in the fridge. Any unused frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Freezing it won’t work as it’ll ruin the beautiful consistency of the frosting. When you take it out of the fridge to use, add a tablespoon of heavy cream and mix with an electric mixture to soften and return to a spreadable consistency.
- 1 (8-ounce) package Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Icing Sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Cream the cream cheese with an electric mixer.
- Add butter and cream with cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar a little at a time until incorporated then turn speed to the highest and mix for about 20 seconds until mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and beat until well-blended.
- Add more sugar if desired, I used a lot less than you would see in other recipes as my family likes things less sweet.